[su_heading size=”21″ align=”left” margin=”10″]Zesty radishes, tasty tomatoes and protein-rich chickpeas are a winning combination in this chilled salad recipe that’s great for packed lunches or a picnic.[/su_heading]
- 10 radishes, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salad and vegetable seasoning mix with coriander and annatto (see Tip) or 1 teaspoon Homemade Spice Mix (see associated recipe)
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- Combine radishes, tomatoes, scallion, and chopped onion in a large bowl. Stir in chickpeas.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, and seasoning mix in a small bowl. Pour dressing over bean mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
- To serve, toss salad greens with bean mixture. If desired, sprinkle with black pepper.Brush each ear of corn with some of the Italian salad dressing; sprinkle each ear with chopped rosemary. Grill corn on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium to medium-hot coals for 20 minutes or until tender, turning often. Cool slightly. (Or, preheat oven to 425°F. Bake brushed ears, in a shallow baking pan, for 30 minutes, turning once.)
- Cut each ear of corn crosswise into thirds. Set a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag in a large, shallow bowl; place corn and sliced tomatoes in bag. Pour remaining dressing over vegetables. Seal bag and let vegetables stand 20 minutes before serving, or chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours, turning bag once or twice.
- To serve, arrange spinach leaves on six chilled plates. Remove corn and tomatoes from bag with a slotted spoon, reserving dressing. Arrange corn and tomatoes on top of spinach. Pass the reserved dressing.