Quick-chilling the asparagus and carrots in ice water is an important step in this recipe. It stops the cooking process of the vegetables so they don’t overcook and go limp.
- ¼ cup bottled Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 cups torn red-tip leaf lettuce or leaf lettuce
- 1 cup fresh enoki mushrooms
- 8 ounces baby carrots with tops, trimmed to 2 inches or ½ of a (16 ounce) package peeled baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip) (optional)
- Prepare vinaigrette: Combine salad dressing, soy sauce, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook carrots, covered, in a medium skillet in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus spears. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Drain; immediately plunge vegetables into ice water (see Tip).
- Let stand for 1 minute. Drain and pat dry.
- Line four salad plates with lettuce. Arrange carrots, asparagus, and mushrooms on lettuce. Drizzle with vinaigrette. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds.